The Mandela Scholarship Fund is intended for South African students, who want to study at Leiden University for one semester in order to extend their knowledge and contribute to the development of South Africa.
The scholarship includes:
- Tuition fees for a one-semester study abroad programme (if applicable).
Note: exchange students are exempted from tuition fees on the basis of the exchange agreement.
- Living allowance: € 1000 per month.
- Insurance sponsored by AON Student Insurance and arranged by Leiden University’s Scholarships Team.
One semester (maximum 5 months).
WHAT STUDY PROGRAMS ARE COVERED?
Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies.
IS SCHOLARSHIP ANNUAL?
Mandela Scholarship Fund is awarded every year to South African students to study in Netherlands. Scholarship application deadline is October and April of every year. You are strongly advised to visit this website regularly to see more scholarship opportunities.
Important Information: “Some scholarships require you to first apply to the host university for admission before you can be considered for scholarships. Fortunately, it doesn’t cost any fee to apply for admission as an international student.
If the scholarship eligibility criteria require you to hold an offer of admission from the university and you will be automatically awarded the scholarship”. While few others require you to first be a newly admitted student (fresh student) of the university before being awarded a scholarship, hence the need for you to step up efforts in your quest to study abroad.
Also, ensure you first read the eligibility criteria and application procedure of every scholarship opportunity published on this website carefully before commencing your application because some scholarships don’t necessarily require you to first apply to the host university for admission or be a fresh student as stated earlier.
You are strongly advised to check back on this website regularly for more scholarship opportunities.
Mandela Scholarship Fund is open to South African citizens only.
WHERE CAN SCHOLARSHIP BE TAKEN?
Scholarships can be taken at Leiden University, Netherlands.
WHO CAN APPLY?
To be considered for Mandela Scholarship Fund, applicants must be:
- a Bachelor or Master student.
- permanent residents of South Africa.
- enrolled at a South African University.
- motivated to upgrade or extend their knowledge in order to make a contribution towards the development of South Africa.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit an online application for admission for an exchange/study abroad course at Leiden University.
- Once you have been admitted to an exchange/study abroad course, complete the Mandela scholarship application form
- Submit your completed scholarship application form as scanned email attachment to: email@example.com. Make sure to attach all required documents, namely:
- Exchange/study abroad admission letter from Leiden University.
- Scholarship motivation letter.
- Recent transcript of records from your South African University.
- Up-to-date CV.
- Photocopy of your valid passport(s).
- Two original letters of recommendation (one of which should be from an academic staff member)
- Documentation showing the status of any other grants you have applied for.
- Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself in the Netherlands (the Mandela scholarship does not cover all expenses). This can take form of:
- a student grant letter showing the exact amount and duration of your grant, or
- a recent bank statement in your name, or
- a notary statement declaring that your parents have sufficient financial means to support you.
1 October for programmes starting in February / 1 April for programmes starting in September.